Thursday, May 28, 2009

Why has “running” come to mean “marathon?”

A friend in her blog http://www.traineveryday.com/ asked the rhetorical question: “Do I need to run a marathon?” So I thought I’d consider the subject here.

I’ve received the same queries about marathons over the years. When the conversation turns to running I am invariably asked, “Oh, what marathons have you run?”

Since I started running years ago with my daughter, the marathon has not really entered my running equations. However, once that same daughter suggested that the two of us train for the Chicago Marathon (she really wanted to run the Paris Marathon) as it was the year of her 25th birthday and my 55th birthday. The symmetry seemed good and I was open to the plan. In the meantime we joined a team for the River-To-River relay in southern Illinois. A beautiful, hot, hilly and a fun racing experience except that Elizabeth developed a stress fracture in one of her feet and that put an end to our marathon. We’ve never looked back.

So why do so many people seem to think that “running” equals “marathon?”

Like my blogging friend, it seems to me that the marathon has become the running event of choice lately. I believe that the number of marathons is up as is the number of participants (I guess that makes sense!) As to why the numbers are up? I can only guess. One guess is that as charities have increased their use of marathons as fund-raising events the number of participants supporting those charities has also increased.

Consequently, with bigger numbers of participants these marathon events get more coverage in the general press and, especially, in the athletic/sport press. So, many more folks assume that running a marathon is the way to go. In short, more participants beget even more participants.

As I said earlier, marathons have never been my running things. (And I’m proud of that somewhat rebellious position!) The thought of spending 3+ hours on my feet running just doesn’t do it for me. I’m sure that those who run marathons finish each one with a tremendous sense of accomplishment or disappointment. The same senses that I have in races from 5K to half-marathons only I’m not on my feet for the extended time it takes to run the marathon distance.

For me, racing is racing. There is a difference between running and racing. When I race a 5K it is a very intense experience for me. It includes total concentration on getting to the finish line as fast as I can on that day. It is fighting off the negative demons who are telling me in mile 2 that I went out way too fast and I’m going to die (figuratively). It is pushing legs that have passed the pain of lactic acid buildup and are numb for the final 400 meters. It is gasping for air in the chute. It is your eyes wide open and bulging at the finish line (not a cool look which is why I used to wear sun glasses.)

So, from my point of view running doesn’t equal marathoning. But… if you’re running a marathon and need some moral support, I’m there for you during your planning, during your training, and during your marathon. I’ll even accompany you during the second half of your event.

To each his or her own whether it’s 800 meters or an ultra enjoy your times on the roads and paths and trails.

No comments: